Hall of Fame, QOL Improvements, & Bug Squishes!
Hello everyone, we managed to wiggle quite a few hours into our busy week this week to make some QOL updates and add some requests.
⏳ Site Speed
We are working on several things in the background to increase the overall site speed. We want everyone to know that the site may lag occasionally while we are in this process as optimizing the site is going to take Bedouin many hours to complete. This means site speed won't be a “one and done” kind of update but more like chipping away at problem areas. We are aware that the game starts lagging several times per day and are working to address these specific areas first.
Part of optimizing the site includes having to rebuild several pages. The first was done this week: the stable page. This page now loads horses per tab which allows for the page to load very fast. Each tab also only loads 20 horses from the server at one time. We hope you’ve seen significant improvements in speed here. This page rebuild took about 6 hours to complete to give an idea on how long it may take to fix other pages.
Other pages we’re looking to rebuild/improve are the herd management and mass actions. Our goal is that no matter how many horses you have, you should still be able to load pages very quickly. We hope to rebuild and/or optimize at least one page a week.
🏆 Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame is back! It’s starting off with only a couple of categories but more will be added over time.
- Horses ranked by level (top 100)
- Total horses in each breed
- Total horses in each crossbreed
Each unfrozen horse will be ranked every 6 hours. You can see when horses were last ranked in the Hall of Fame. All horses that have been ranked will display their rank on their page so you can see where your horse stands in relation to other horses in the game. This means even horses not in the top 100 ranks will display their ranking on their profile if they haven't been frozen during ranking. Rush on out (after reading all the news) and see where all your favorites rank!!
🐴 Foundation Store Improvements
We took a look at the foundation store and thought we could do some QOL updates and add in a few requested features.
- The number of stalls you have available now updates with each purchase.
- If you are not boarding at home, you can now see how many transport slots you have available. This will also update with each purchase.
- The success message no longer disappears between purchases, making the page move.
- A name is no longer randomly generated on page load.
- You can now choose whether to randomly generate names for horses or not. This should make it easier to figure out which horses need to be named according to your own naming conventions if you need that.
📌 Sticky Tabs
Sticky tabs when navigating between horses are back! To make this easier to use, horse images now automatically collapse if going to a different tab so you can get straight to business. 💼
💬 Registry and Club Forums
Registry and club forums have now found their way back to Horse Fable! Registries should automatically show forums but clubs need them enabled through their settings. Posts from both places will also show up in your community feed if you're a member.
If you're a club president, you can choose to notify all members of the club of your posts. This acts similar to how the game news posts are and can help keep everyone informed.
🔑 Club Keys
With fixes to crossbreed campaigns and adding back in club forums, clubs keys are back in the General Store! This means you can now make new clubs and also submit new crossbreed campaigns.
📋 New Mass Action
You can now mass update working paths!
Just a reminder that mass actions are a benefit of upgrading and can save you a lot of time as your herd grows. Other mass actions include: putting up for sale, putting up for stud/brood, setting disciplines and careers, branding, retiring, transferring, and surrendering.
🌟 Small Changes
- Demolishing stalls in your estate when you have horses in them will remove those horses from boarding.
- Halter show arena now shows 25 per page instead of 20 so you could see all star levels of one section (male, female, foal) without having to go to page 2 for the last 5.
- If there are no horses in Uncategorized, it will no longer show on your stable page.
- If a horse fails the criteria for the crossbreed campaign gen 2, it will show up in gen 1 and can be registered as a first-gen to continue breeding lines.
- Images have been removed from the Shows Arena to make it more compact
🦟 Bug Fixes
- If you are a forever upgraded account, you can now upgrade to a higher tier.
- The Foal Predictor can now predict crossbreeds.
- Enter All 1 should now correctly randomly enter shows.
- You should no longer be able to accept breeding requests for horses with under 90% energy.
- Fixed crossbreed campaign criteria for gen 2s and 3s. There seems to be a couple horses who haven’t taken the change nicely, and we’ll be looking into these over the next couple days.
- Preview in lab should now switch back to adult from foal
As mentioned previously, our list is very long and we’re trying our best to chip away at it every day. Sometimes things may go wonky (such as stable tabs this past week) but we try to put in a fix for those cases as soon as we can.
Bedouin & Curly
REMINDER: Live Q&A With the Devs!
Hello all and happy beginning of the week. We hope Monday is off to a great start!
As a reminder, we will have a live Q&A tonight at 7 PM EST/game time on our Discord sever where Bedouin and I will be answering your questions. Join us to chat and hang out while learning about HoFa, upcoming plans, catch a sneak peek, or even learn about us devs! For those who join, we will be having drawings to win a spectral token, 3-month bronze upgrade, and 50,000 bits! As a note, all voice chat joins will be muted and we will be utilizing Discord’s new text channels for voice chats.
Be sure to join the Discord server and chat with others before the Q&A. We have plenty of channels you can use for help, special interest, and even horse brags.
We hope to see you all there!
Bedouin & Curly
Discipline & Halter Show Changes, New Things & Upcoming!
Happy Thursday! As we mentioned before, we’re ramping up development for future marketing in July.
👋 Hello, Welcome Wagon!
Congratulations to our new Welcome Wagon team Acoustic, Maki, mell, and Rivendell Stables! These four players are our new welcome wagon members who will be helping us greet new players and provide a bit more help support. You will see them around in the forums, Discord, and maybe in your messages offering help or answering any questions. If you see them around be sure to send them congrats!
😁 Welcome New Players!
We have noticed an uptick in new players recently, and we wanted to give a hello to everyone. Welcome to HoFa! We hope you enjoy your time with us and have a wonderful time joining us on our development journey. As of now, HoFa is almost complete with our current plans centering around bug fixes with a splash of new content here and there. Bedouin and I are a small dev team who work mostly in our free evenings to get work done so our updates are typically smaller but we like to think we are chipping away at our work pretty consistently.
We want to help everyone join our community and feel welcome so on Monday, June 20th at 7 PM EST/game time Bedouin and I will be doing a live Q & A while I do a bit of coloring with input from you! We stream live from our Discord server so be sure to join early to meet everyone! A reminder will be sent around the time of this event so keep an eye out.
🐎 Discipline Energy Return
We have added in a request to add back energy for horses if you remove them from discipline shows. This has been added in today's update! Now you can remove horses from discipline shows and they will have energy given back to them.
🐎 Discipline Show Changes
We’ve had quite a bit of feedback about showing and after too many spreadsheets to count and testing on our testing server, we think we figured out a good solution! Discipline shows have had a few tweaks to ensure levels for horses are increasing at a better rate than before. Previously, foundation horses and horses in small shows got the short end of the stick so to say. These adjustments we will be monitoring to ensure the level gain balance for disciplines is fair compared to other paths. So what have we done?
- Discipline shows now pay out many more horse points than before. This change ensures horses at all tiers and ranks will now receive more horse point benefits than before thus increasing the number of levels a horse earns in its lifetime. To give a figure to how big the change is an untrained 18-year-old foundation tier 1 horse previously could cap out at 119,700 points or a level 48. Now, the same horse will cap out at 245,700 points or a level 61. To note, a trained horse can potentially exceed this as it moves to a higher discipline rank.
- This change also means the minimum possible horse point earnings have gone up as well. An untrained 18-year-old foundation tier 1 horse previously at minimum would cap out at 25,200 points or a level 28 (😭). Now, the same horse at a minimum will cap out at 50,400 points or level 36. To note, a trained horse can potentially exceed this as it moves to a higher discipline rank and/or places higher.
- Smaller shows have always had a bit of a buffer added to them to ensure horses in higher ranked/tiered (usually fewer entered shows) are able to level as well. For example, a horse placing 3rd out of a show of 3 will be given horse points as if it placed 3rd out of 10 horses, earning more horse points, as compared to a horse placing last in a show of 100, earning fewer horse points.
Horses entered in shows today will see this benefit at rollover tonight! Now that this change is in place, we will also be reviewing career and halter show horse point payout. Our goal is to create more balance across the game while offering alternate gameplay options based on preference and playing style.
🐴 Halter Show Changes
You asked, we considered and have finally decided to remove the 10-horse limit to halter shows. As of today, you can enter as many horses into a halter show as it allows. For example, a show with 0 entrants means you can enter 20 horses and auto-run that show. We hope this helps keep halter shows flowing well enough for those who use them to ensure no horses end up missing out on the opportunity to enter.
💞 Stud & Brood Market
The stud market was a bit of a mess, to say the least, so today we have rebuilt the stud market AND fixed that forever loading bug. Who knew loading 8,000 horses at once would overload the server. Oops! The stud and brood market is now updated and ready to be used.
🏠 Boarding Centers
As a bit of a new change, we have made adjustments to boarding centers and how you board at them. A new community hub page has been added where you can view all of the boarding centers. This page allows you to view potential centers you can board your horses at. To access this page click the blue building in the lower left of the town map or click "Boarding Centers" in the Town navigation.
New for boarding center pages, we have added an option to select via the drop-down a boarding option: DIY, Part, or Full, as well as which horse to board. For upgraded users at bronze level or higher, on this page with the same options, you can board all possible horses in the center rather than selecting one by one.
On boarding center pages for center owners, we have updated the information to include more than just horse names. Now you can view the horse name, horse owner, and the option to manually kick the horse if it has broken any boarding rules.
✉️ More Emails
As we get more and more new players we have realized we are in need of more educational emails to be sent to them. In the coming weeks, we will be creating an email series for new players that highlights what we love about HoFa as well as valuable gameplay information. If you have any ideas as to what would have been most helpful to you as a new player, let us know!
🌟 Other Changes
As a cosmetic change, the General Store and Construction now have tabs on the pages vs. the previous dropdown. We believe this is a bit cleaner but also helps everyone visualize all their options.
🦟 Bug Fixes
- For what seems like the 100th time, we’ve put in the fix for the Enter All 1. This time, we’ve extensively tested it and feel that we’ve conquered most of the issues. Please put any new issues in the Bug Box as usual.
When we made the announcement about BreyerFest, we talked about some of the things we wanted to accomplish before then.
From that post:
Before July, our priorities include (in no particular order):
- Reduce the number of bugs in the game. ⭐
- Make sure the game is faster and can handle more players online at the same time. ⭐
- Fix quests and add the next quests. ✅⭐
- Make some changes to discipline and halter shows based on feedback we’ve seen. ✅
- Rebuild Herd Management so it works better for larger herds.
- Release the first version of the explore system.
- Add the Hall of Fame back into the game with more categories than before.
- Complete the Feature Requests system.
- Add in referral prizes.
- Add in a tutorial email series for new accounts. ⭐
- … and more! (our list is quite long)
✅= complete, ⭐= in progress
Beyond this list, we have a few things on the horizon:
- Grade Images will be uploaded for all those requested by 6/14. We expect these to be in at the beginning of July
- A new face will be joining the HoFa family soon. What could it be…?
- We’re working on entering the next series of quests but this is a lengthy process and could be several updates from now.
- We plan to release club halter shows! More details on this soon.
Expect another update soon as we continue to chip away at our ever-growing list.
Bedouin & Curly
Quest Fixes, Spectral Token Change, New Item & MORE!
Happy Friday everyone! It's officially the weekend!!
After much deliberation and training of the locals, we believe we officially have them all worked out on their job duties. Quests should now be fixed so they no longer repeat, leave blank pages, or do any other number of strange things they used to do. With this complete, we are now able to input new quests and expand upon HoFa lore, storylines, and NPCs.
🌈 Spectral Token Addition
We decided that while spectral tokens are great as they are, they could be much much better. Today, we are launching the ability to pick variations using spectral tokens. This means every marking has variations possible to choose from. Using a spectral token now gives a variation option when a marking is selected. As a note, for KIT genes only one marking will display as the selected variation. For example, a ToRn with variation 2 will only show tobiano variation 2, not roan.
With this change, Spectral Tokens are on sale in the general store until June 12th at 11:59 PM EST/ Gametime. We hope this gives everyone enough time to purchase tokens and explore all the new possibilities!
🐴 New Item: Face Re-Roll Token
A new item can now be found year-round in the General Store, the Face Re-Roll Token! Often we have heard that foals or foundation horses are just so wonderful, buuuuut you’d like them better if you could make a few tweaks. The Face Re-Roll token adds the ability to randomly generate a new face marking on one horse. Any guesses what other items are coming soon?
👀 Community Feed
We can all now more easily stalk each other! Just kidding, the community feed has been added to show the most recent forum posts and replies so we can all keep up with what’s new in the forum. This also comes with a fix so the most recent replier displays as the person who replied, not the original poster. We hope this helps kick-start some activity on the forum to help build the community.
📋 Select All in Mass Equip
We dislike having to click so many things and have made mass equipping a bit easier. You can now mass select all in the Mass Equip rather than checking boxes one by one. We hope this helps those of you who have a large number of horses or if you’re like us, those who hate having to click more than needed.
🌟 Welcome Wagon Applications
We have received lots of applications for the Welcome Wagon and will be reviewing them shortly! Messages about application status will be sent in-game to everyone who applied. We greatly appreciate everyone who applied!
🦟 Bug Fixes
We destroyed some bugs recently.
- Forum posts now show the most recent replier, not the original forum poster.
- The scenario of a horse losing all its energy but not entering any shows when selecting halter and no discipline shows in the Enter All should be fixed now.
Be on the lookout for more updates soon!
Bedouin & Curly
Bug Fix Light Draft foal ROAN layer off marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix White on TB broken marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix Club Campaign drop down won't show horse marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix Halter forever loading marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix Can't sort on stable page by tab using PS/Level marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix ascending/descending filter doesn't work for on shows page marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix Can't progress quests. marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix Fable in Progress: Get the Info not finishing marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix Stable page infinity loads marked as Fixed.
Bug Fix Preview in Lab does not switch back to adult marked as Fixed.